I have amassed a huge collection of pictures since I retired, so many pictures that I began to wonder WHY? Why do I carry a camera around with me? Why do I create and maintain photoblogs and portfolios? Why do I spend so much time on photography? Here is the truth as I see it...
* I take pictures to mark the milestones in my life and the lives of the people I love: our New Year's Day walks on the beach, holiday celebrations, graduations, and other important occasions.
* I take pictures to…well, just to take pictures. To learn how to use my camera more effectively; to see things through the lens in very different ways than I would see them without the lens; to make connections; to find joy in the everyday things of life.
* I take pictures because I am a writer. Not a professional writer, but one who enjoys putting words on paper and crafting something meaningful, and perhaps even lovely. The pictures and the writing complement each other. That's the main reason I have kept my photo-a-day journal for well over four years.
* I take pictures because it is an art, and although I am not an artist in the real sense of the word (Art with a CAPITAL A), photography allows me to be an artist (with a small "a"). And yes, I am very aware that many photographers are CAPITAL A artists, but I think I started too late in life for that. Grandma Moses I am not, but I love to do my best and to be able to see some improvement in my photography and my writing. My portfolio and photoblog help me with that.
* I take pictures because I love to walk in the woods, the fields, and the many wonderful parks we have in our part of Ohio. That is how I came up with the title for this portfolio and for my photoblog.
In short, I take pictures because photography enriches my life, and I believe we should live rich lives. So I take picture and I share them with you. If you see any you particularly enjoy, I hope you will let me know.
Carolyn aka Skip